- To encourage more women into jobs in the IT sector
- To encourage more women to engage in the UKOUG community
- To recognise the contributions women make to the UKOUG community
To address the following three key issues identified in 2013 at our WIT conference sessions:
- Women are generally not encouraged into IT roles, particularly at entry level.
- Women in IT roles can find it harder to progress within the sector and have to fight their corner to be recognised - more so than their male counterparts.
- Women find it hard to attend events within the sector, such as UKOUG’s Technology Conference, as it is too hard to juggle with family life and/or they would not feel comfortable asking their employer for permission to attend. This means they miss out on learning about key developments in the sector and the opportunity to expand their knowledge through meeting other delegates. This may lead to a sense of professional isolation.
WIT need you!
Altering these trends is a challenge and we need your help to achieve it.
We will raise awareness of this initiative and encourage you and your contacts to participate in the following ways:
What else are we doing?
UKOUG's Next Gen initiative
has been set up to encourage entry level candidates into careers the IT sector – both male and female.