This role is a non-executive director and is a member of the board of directors but does not form part of the executive management team.
The duties cover two areas: those designated to the non-exec director and those designated to being a Board Member as outlined below.
Term time: 2 years
Elected Term: March 2017 - March 2019
Represents members within the UKOUG.
1. Active participation at UKOUG Flagship Conferences
2. Support Member Chair in
- Delivering internal communications between Members and Operating Group/Board –UKOUG business activities
- Delivering internal communications between Members and Oracle
- Facilitating the strategy
3. Represents members within the Operating Group/Board
4. Ensures that the views of the membership are communicated to the Board
Agree with Member Advocate Board members’ attendance at the following
- EOUC Presidents meetings (2 days)
- IOUC Presidents meetings (4 days)
- Oracle OpenWorld (7 days)
- Other OUG meetings as approved and budgeted
Reporting to UKOUG Membership
Expected hours, not less than 8-12 hours per month with the support of you member organisation plus conference attendance as required.
Duties as a Board Member reporting to the Board
- Ensure that the organisation complies with its governing documents and company law, and other relevant legislation or regulations.
- Ensure that the organisation pursues its objects as defined in its governing document.
- Ensure that the organisation applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects.
- Give firm strategic direction to the organisation, setting overall policy, defining goals, setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets.
- Safeguard the good name and ethos of the organisation.
- Ensure the effective and efficient administration of the organisation.
- Act in good faith in what they honestly believe to be the best interests of the company, and not for any collateral purpose. This means that, particularly in the event of a conflict of interest between the company's interests and their own, the directors must always favour the company.
- Evangelise and actively promote the work and image of the UKOUG.
Expected commitment: attendance at 4 (½ day) board meetings per year, plus ½ days review / prepare for board meetings. (5 hours voluntary time included in the above)
Where appropriate, serve on sub-committees / working groups. (Payment & rate are subject to project preapproved budget)
Skills & Experience:
- Engaged with UKOUG Membership
- Experience in not-for-profit management and governance and community relations
- Thoroughly committed to UKOUG Non-profit's mission.
- Experience Oracle or similar IT Marketplace/economy
- Proven leadership, coaching, and relationship management experience.
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation
- Displays integrity, models behaviour, ability to coach staff and high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives.
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- Action-oriented, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Passion, idealism, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed