This role is a non-executive director and is a member of the board of directors but does not form part of the executive management team.
The voluntary role is elected by the UKOUG Members. The organisation the President works for is preferably a UKOUG end user member.
Current elected term: May 2015 - March 2017
The duties cover two areas: those designated to the non-exec director and those designated to being a Board Member as outlined below.
Term time: 2 years
- UKOUG President is the external facing ambassador for UKOUG - the public face of UKOUG external communications with Press and relationships with Oracle. Represents members on the Board.
- Press commitments - media spokesperson for UKOUG
- Flagship conferences - deliver introduction/ keynote presentation, host duties, ambassador role
- Delivers internal communications between Members and Oracle
- Focal point for interaction with Oracle - develop and focus on external relationships in the Oracle community
- Prepare a regular President's report - to be made available to the Board
- Mentors and coaches President Elect
Agree with Members Advocate Board members’ possible attendance at the following:
- EOUC Presidents meetings (2 days)
- IOUC Presidents meetings (4 days)
- Oracle OpenWorld (7 days)
- Other OUG meetings as required/approved and budgeted
Reporting to UKOUG Membership
Expected hour’s average 8 hours per month with the support of your member organisation plus conference attendance as required.
Duties as a Board Member reporting to the Board
- Ensure that the organisation complies with its governing documents and company law, and other relevant legislation or regulations.
- Ensure that the organisation pursues its objects as defined in its governing document.
- Ensure that the organisation applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects.
- Give firm strategic direction to the organisation, setting overall policy, defining goals, setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets.
- Safeguard the good name and ethos of the organisation.
- Ensure the effective and efficient administration of the organisation.
- Act in good faith in what they honestly believe to be the best interests of the company, and not for any collateral purpose. This means that, particularly in the event of a conflict of interest between the company's interests and their own, the directors must always favour the company.
- Evangelise and actively promote the work and image of the UKOUG.
Expected commitment: attendance at 4 (½ day) board meetings per year, plus ½ days review / prepare for board meetings (5 hours voluntary time included in the above).
Where appropriate, serve on sub-committees / working groups. (Payment & rate are subject to project preapproved budget)
Skills & Experience:
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships
- Experience in community relations
- Thoroughly committed to UKOUG Nonprofit's mission & strategy
- Experience with Oracle marketplace/ economy and UKOUG community
- Proven leadership, and relationship management experience
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation
- Displays integrity, models behaviour, adaptable
- Public relations experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Passion, idealism, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed
Back to leadership roles
The nomination and election process are run by the Appointments Group who hold the responsibility to identify suitable candidates for this position.
Nominations open: 10th March 2015
Nominations close: 5pm 7th April 2015
Voting opens: 20th April 2015
Voting closes: 5th May 2015
Results announced 8th May 2015