Oracle Applications can achieve over 1,000x faster performance running on Oracle Database In-Memory
Oracle OpenWorld, San Francisco—September 30, 2014
In today's high-speed, always-on world, customers expect more than ever before from the companies with whom they do business. Meeting these increasing expectations can be difficult, especially when decision-makers must wait hours or days to extract vital information from terabytes of data deep within the enterprise. The pace of business can force managers to decide between making an immediate and less informed decision or delaying business decisions until the analytics come through.
To address this challenge and enable executives, managers, and employees to pinpoint opportunities, negotiate smarter, and better engage customers, Oracle introduced the Oracle Database In-Memory option, new software that lets Oracle Database customers create a real-time enterprise. Taking advantage of the extreme performance delivered by Oracle Database In-Memory, some of Oracle's business applications have seen performance gains of over 1,000x, enabling users to quickly make data-driven decisions, respond instantly to their customers, and continuously optimize key processes. With Oracle in-memory applications, jobs that used to be run overnight become on-demand or real time, reducing processing times from hours to minutes or even seconds. Instead of waiting, employees can work—with more current data than was ever possible before. The ability to combine real-time data analysis with subsecond transactions on existing applications enables organizations to become real-time enterprises. And that enables new business strategies and operational efficiencies across the organization.
Oracle business applications have achieved performance gains of up to 1,000x running on Oracle Database In-Memory.
Deploying Oracle Database In-Memory with virtually any existing Oracle Database-compatible application is as easy as flipping a switch, and it has already transformed the performance of business applications spanning Oracle Enterprise Resource Planning (Oracle ERP), Oracle Supply Chain Management (Oracle SCM), and Oracle Customer Experience (Oracle CX).
Examples of these transformative applications include:
- Oracle E-Business Suite in-memory cost management: Achieved more than 1,003x faster processing with a large automotive costing data set (2 billion cost rows, 14 million parts, 17-level BOM). With this dramatic improvement in processing time, customers now can perform what-if simulations on cost changes and instantly visualize their impact to the overall business. Leveraging this in-memory technology, users now will be able make critical business decisions in real time—quickly analyzing the impact of cost changes on profitability; instantly recalculating inventory, in-transit, and production balances; and performing make-buy decisions in time to help boost the bottom line.
- Oracle Transportation Management: Achieved more than 1,030x faster performance, providing the information businesses need to optimize routes in real time to improve on-time delivery, reduce empty miles and turnaround times, and increase efficiency.
- Oracle's Siebel In-Memory: Achieved 1,247x faster performance, allowing customers to conduct real-time ad hoc patterned queries in a contact-center scenario.
- Oracle's Demantra Predictive Trade Planning: Achieved 102x faster worksheet performance to provide sales and marketing managers with the ability to quickly analyze demand and promotions data at a very granular level. This helps marketers understand a promotion's profit and revenue on a real-time basis and optimize promotional spend with a global view of trade ROI.
- Oracle's JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Sales Order Management: Achieved 1,700x faster performance for a sales order query and can now put the power of real time in sales teams' hands by providing immediate answers to unanticipated customer questions.
- Oracle's PeopleSoft General Ledger: Achieved 1,300x faster performance in general ledger pivot grids, providing iterative financial position analysis in real time by allowing organizations to make earlier decisions for the financial period, speed account reconciliation, and shorten financial period close. Where before analysis of 195 million ledger lines and 250 business units could take more than four hours, customers can see the results in 11.5 seconds.
- Oracle Advanced Planning Command Center: Achieved 76x faster performance that allows businesses to quickly solve their supply disruptions and unexpected demand fluctuations.
With Oracle Database In-Memory, organizations can transform the performance of Oracle Database-compatible applications by automatically and transparently taking advantage of columnar in-memory processing, without additional programming or application changes.