10 great tips from the OPN comms team to help you navigate social media engagement successfully.
As social media-savvy as we think we are, it’s always good to have reminders.
Whether you’ve been a community manager for years, or just creating your first Twitter account, we present you a fool-proof list of social media best practices to keep handy.
These tips can be used for those who manage social media accounts both personally and professionally:
- Proofread! Spelling errors are awful; so are incomplete and run-on sentences.
- Think visually. Photos, videos, gifs, infographics – whatever you can do to tell your story visually will perform better than just text;
- Check hashtags before using that “#” – some of them don’t mean what you think they do;
- Stay true on-message. Don’t jump on trending bandwagons just for the sake of it – make sure your social media posts stay true to your message;
- When in doubt, don’t post. If there’s ever a question about the appropriateness of a post, don’t do it;
- Don’t engage in negativity on social;
- Respond promptly to all messages (within an hour or two);
- Identify yourself. If posting to your personal accounts for work, make sure that your personal accounts clearly state your views are your own, not your company’s.
- Update your profile! Profiles are easily neglected. Take the time to update everything from your photo to your contact information to your interests.
- Commit to social media education. There’s a lot to learn and many social media opportunities that most of us aren’t aware of. The smallest tips you pick up can have a large impact on your social media success.
Once you’ve gotten these down, take a good look at your social accounts and ditch the dead weight. Why get rid of an account, you ask? Well, because they only thing worse than not having a Twitter or Facebook page is having one you seldom update.
Social media etiquette and best practices are becoming more and more important with the increase of users and content posted on social channels. Being a skilled social media manager means observing others and testing until you get things (close to) perfect. If everyone followed these common sense guidelines, social would be a better place.
Don't forget to follow OPN on social! We promise we update our profiles regularly.
The OPN Communications team